Thursday, August 6, 2009

7 Layer Bars

Today my project was once again in the kitchen. We have a company picnic to attend on Saturday and my husband signed us up for dessert bars. I am making 7 Layer Bars which always receive rave reviews. I usually use the recipe on the can of sweetened condensed milk, though I have it memorized other than temperature and time. I measured out my ingredients but upon looking at the can, found that the recipe was different! I must have purchased a different brand. I will give you my recipe with theirs in ().

1/2 cup or 1 stick of butter (same)
1 cup crushed graham crackers (1 1/2 cups)
1 cup chopped nuts (same)
1 cup chocolate chips (2 cups)
1 cup butterscotch chips (none!)
1 cup coconut (1 1/3 cups)
1 can sweetened condensed milk

Place butter in 9x11 inch pan and pop it inthe oven while it preheats to 350 degreed. 325 for glass. I line the pan with parchament first for easy removal and cutting. Sprinkle the crumbs over the melted butter and squish into the bottom of the pan. Sprinkle in nuts, chips and coconut; drizzle the can of sweetened condensed milk over the whole thing and pop in the oven for 25 minutes. Let cool before cutting.

If you used parchament you can just lift it out onto a cutting board and cut it on a board. I usually cut the uneven edges off (and eat them) and then you can make perfect squares, rectangles, triangles or whatever shape you wish. I like rectangles but I don't know why...

I decided to increase the graham crackers and coconut (you can't have too much of a good thing, right?) but couldn't imagine the bars without butterscotch chips. That got me thinking about the name 7 Layer Bars...I guess butter is a layer. I stuck with the order I remembered from the old recipe but theirs called for the sweetened condensed milk after the graham crackers, not on top.

Well, my bars are about to come out of the oven and I have yet to do the breakfast dishes...

No comments:

Post a Comment